Wednesday, October 7, 2015

The Wheels on the Bus


“I have found that when you inspire others they inspire you right back.” via @NicholasFerroni

Instructional coaching is tough work.  It is valuable work.  It is work that inspires.  When I was hired to be an instructional coach at my new school, administration presented me with the challenge to grow relationships and build trust in my first year.  They said that once the trust was there, I would be able to do the real work that needs to be done which is to support and help teachers grow professionally.  Professional growth will lead to gains in student achievement.  Thus, the stakes are high.

In the first quarter of my new job, I have found teachers within my district to be open to change.  They are driven to find solutions that are in the best interests of students.  Teachers within my district are blessed with the ability to really know their students. Teachers are active outside of the classroom and attend meetings outside of their contract day on a regular basis.  Teachers meet and strategize to implement interventions that will make a difference.  Teachers ask questions of their students and genuinely get to know them.  So, it was no surprise to me that they also embraced the idea of working with an instructional coach.

Building relationships is a never-ending job so I am continuing to purposely do that in a variety of ways.  However, this week I felt like I had succeeded in the short term.  Two different teachers ended our meeting by saying, “the wheels are turning!”  And isn’t that what instructional coaching is all about?  It’s about inspiring others to come up with new ideas of their own and working to implement those ideas so that we can meet the ever changing needs of our students.

Thank you, Boone Central teachers, for allowing me to take a ride on your bus when your bus gets moving!  Your inspiration is my inspiration and it is a true joy to be working with you.




No comments:

Post a Comment